Friday, October 14, 2016

Tjeldstø 13 October 2016 - Accidental Shovelers

Light SE and sunny.

I did really well with not birding today, driving my mum to the airport just after dawn in order to miss the majority of the bird activity, went shopping and then spent a couple of hours using a loud motorsaw AND wearing ear defenders just to make sure I couldn't hear anything of interest passing over the house.

I then spent the rest of the day working, running errands and being Dad.

Unfortunately as I swung into the side of the road at Tjeldstø to answer a telephone call I ran into some other birders who I know and they waved me over. ONLY to be polite I went over to see what they wanted. They had found a couple of Shoveler skjeand on Husvatnet. This did not help add any credibility to my claims of withdrawal from the world of birding, These were not the only ones who have also voiced their doubts about my giving up today.

I only went out on my terrace after dark and then saw something normal people like - the Northern Lights putting on quite a show. With migrating Redwings rødvingetrost as the sound backdrop, Damn!

Getting there though, getting there.....

No comments: